So we have finally planted a few things in our American, Australian and African garden. A few months ago Jonathan went to Miyazaki to select the plants and on the 1st October a company called Yokoen came with a team of people to deliver and plant them. As most of the plants were large trees we couldn't do it ourselves as it required a large truck with a crane and diggers to do the job.
First the truck came halfway up the road and then unloaded the trees using the crane
Next the digger carried each one up the road to the field where another digger had prepared a hole for it to be put in
The digger drops the base into the hole, lifts it up straight and once Jonathan was happy with the position the guys put the soil back in around it
This process was repeated until everthing was done, which took from 10am to 6pm.
In addition to the that, another digger removed all the grass that had grown on the field and moved the tree roots that had been dug up over last two years and placed them as decorative boundary markers.
The next day the team built supports for each tree using bamboo and rope and watered each one, which took half a day. All the guys from Yokoen were great and very skilled efficient workers, so much so that there was nothing for our volunteers to do but just watch!
In the end this is what we finished with...
Its quite a large field so we still have quite a bit of empty space left to fill but we are quite happy with how it looks so far and are excited to be planning the next phase for next year.
And here is a reminder of what the field looked like a couple of years ago!
Also, in the same area we have been building a 55m long 90cm high Japanese style rock wall, which is not finished yet so I will be writing a post for that once its done.
All for now and thanks to all our hard working volunteers for helping to get the garden to this stage.
Here is what we have been up to since the last post.
We are enjoying some of the fruits of our labour now with cucumbers, tomatoes, blueberries and we have melons on the way too. Everyone has gone cucumber and blueberry crazy as there have been so many here. We freeze the excess blueberries so future volunteers can enjoy them too.
Our hard working volunteers from around the world have finished building the raised bamboo beds and our sunflowers are in bloom. We have also removed the tree at the beginning of the veg garden in order to extend it. The extended part will be for herbs. That was hard work digging the tree root out by hand! Took a week of chipping away at it little by little. So next we have to build a new bamboo fence around the whole veg garden. We are not growing much in there at the moment until the fence is built as everything will just get eaten by the wild boar and whatever else lives around here. They enjoyed our sweetcorn!
Around the wooden house we have built some beautiful looking steps where the old brown glass bottles used to be. We have also layed down some stone slabs leading from the house to the start of the main steps down the hill. Not bad for a team of young people with no experience whatsoever of doing this before. We also have a bear living outside now too who likes to fish in the sea.
Our volunteers enjoyed several trips to the local farm to collect chicken manure which we have put down on the tea fields, the veg garden and in the polytunnel. They enjoyed it so much that they even wrote a song about it! Collecting manure has become like an initation into Slow LIfe Japan. The tea fields are looking ok after some nutrients have been added, so hopefully they will make it.
Thanks to all the volunteers below. Anybody I have missed out, sorry!